These questions may assist you to assess whether you, a loved one, colleague or friend may have a problem with alcohol.
In the past year, have you (or your loved one):
Had times when you ended up drinking more, or longer than you intended?
More than once wanted to cut down or stop drinking, or tried to, but couldn’t?
Spent a lot of time drinking? Or being sick or getting over the after effects?
Experienced craving — a strong need, or urge, to drink?
Found that drinking — or being sick from drinking — often interfered with taking care of your home or family? Or caused job troubles? Or school problems?
Continued to drink even though it was causing trouble with your family or friends?
Given up or cut back on activities that were important or interesting to you, or gave you pleasure, in order to drink?
More than once gotten into situations while or after drinking that increased your chances of getting hurt (such as driving, swimming, using machinery, walking in a dangerous area, or having unsafe sex)?
Continued to drink even though it was making you feel depressed or anxious or adding to another health problem? Or after having had a memory blackout?
Had to drink much more than you once did to get the effect you want? Or found that your usual number of drinks had much less effect than before?
Found that when the effects of alcohol were wearing off, you had withdrawal symptoms, such as trouble sleeping, shakiness, irritability, anxiety, depression, restlessness, nausea, or sweating? Or sensed things that were not there?
If you have any of these symptoms, your drinking may already be a cause for concern. The more symptoms you have, the more urgent the need for change.
If you are considering these issues please contact Istana Jiwa for a confidential discussion with a member of our team.
It is very difficult for a parent, husband, wife, child, friend or colleague to convince a loved one that they have a problem with alcohol or substances and need help. Coming to that realisation is intensely personal and, if left unspoken the individual may take years to seek help themselves.
During that time relationships can be severely damaged and jobs, houses and fortunes can be lost.
However, family and friends are a very important part of the recovery process. Our trained therapists can talk to your loved one to help them understand the effect that their drinking or substance abuse is having on those around him or her. Some of us have walked this path, you will find us knowledgeable, non-judgemental and caring.
We provide family counselling services to help family members to maintain their own health and healthy boundaries while encouraging their loved one to seek help.
Yes. Your privacy is our highest priority.
The fact that you may never have heard of Istana Jiwa is no accident. We don’t court publicity, our clients find us when they need us.
Our team is bound by tight confidentiality agreements and has worked with celebrities, politicians, high level professionals and captains of industry.
We vary the villas we use, they are unbranded and have no overt connection with Istana Jiwa.
No-one outside of Istana Jiwa will know that you are with us.
For high profile clients we provide enhanced security and privacy measures.
One-to-one treatment in privacy and luxury
- We provide absolute confidentiality and privacy and we offer one-to-one holistic treatment – our clients never meet each other, the treating team comes to them. This gentle yet intense form of treatment is highly effective and results in a faster recovery time and enduring success.
We are culturally sensitive
- Istana Jiwa is located on a Hindu island in an Islamic country and our multi-racial, multi-faith team consists of Europeans, Australians, Americans and Asians. We are genuinely international.
Single client immersion. We work with one client at a time in a private setting.
- Extensive research, confirmed by our experience, has convinced us that the group approach, while convenient for the provider, does not produce good outcomes for the client. The group approach requires clients to be pushed into preset programs, timetables and therapies. The individual need is overshadowed by the convenience of the group. Group dynamics can be unhelpful and the loss of privacy and confidentiality can prevent those clients who require discretion from seeking therapy.
- The single client immersion method allows our hand-picked team to concentrate all its efforts on a single client for the best results and lifelong change.
Luxury private accommodation
- Recovery is enhanced in an atmosphere characterised by tranquility, comfort, harmony and privacy.
- Our clients are given their own luxurious, comfortable and spacious 5 star villa. All our villas have at least three bedrooms, a pool, quiet gardens and ample room for treatments and relaxation and elegant dining.
- Each villa is fully staffed with a chef, manager, maid and dedicated car and driver.
Tailored treatment for each client
- We believe that each client who joins our program brings their own experience, knowledge, beliefs and challenges. No two clients are alike.
- Based on each client’s current physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs and conditions, interests and beliefs, we design a program of therapies, experiences and activities to make clients time with us lead to radical enduring change.
Compassion and respect
- Addiction and mental health problems are illnesses not moral deficiencies.
- We treat our clients with respect, understanding and compassion.
- We do not judge or apply unhelpful labels.
- We help our clients recognise and enhance the parts of their lives that are working well and address those that aren’t.
An elite experienced team entirely at your service
- Your multidisciplinary team work as one with you as their entire focus
Many of our clients run businesses and have careers which cannot be put completely on hold during their stay with us.
- Our flexible approach allows therapies and activities to work in conjunction with our clients obligations.
- We are one of very few rehabilitation facilities with the skills and resources available to provide uncompromising care that changes and adapts as you progress through the program.
All inclusive pricing
- With the exception of high value excursions such as yacht charter and helicopter hire and unplanned medical expenses or emergencies the price you are given is all inclusive.
We don’t publish our prices as they are determined by variables such as:
- Level of medical services you may require
- Level of psychiatric services you may require
- Resources needed for your treatment
- Duration of your stay
- Security measures
- Specific accommodation requests
As a guide, the service detailed throughout this website starts at US20,000 per week.
We work on an inclusive quoted price however some things we can’t cover:
- Travel expenses to and from Bali
- Emergency/unplanned medical treatment, evacuation and hospitalisation
- Cosmetic procedures
- Dental procedures
- High value recreational activities such as yacht charter, helicopter trips etc.
- Additional trips and excursions after the completion of your stay
If necessary, and with your permission, we will collaborate with your personal physician.
Once with us your treatment program will be managed and co-ordinated by the Clinical Director.
Each individual treatment will be carried out by a multidisciplinary international and local team of therapists and body workers working in a collaborative way to ensure the best possible result for each client.
Each team will include a psychiatrist, medical practitioner and psychotherapist and support therapists (art, music, expression).
Your complementary therapy team will include yoga instructors, acupuncturists, reflexologists, masseurs and personal trainers.
We believe that each client who joins our program brings their own experience, knowledge, beliefs and challenges. No two clients are alike.
Based on each client’s current physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs and conditions, interests and beliefs, we design a program of therapies, experiences and activities to make clients time with us lead to radical enduring change.
- We welcome the positive input of any doctor or therapist who has worked with you in the past and can provide valuable history and insight.
- We will meet or schedule Skype meetings with any professional suggested by our clients and their input will be shared only with the managing clinical team.
Many of our clients have demanding business and personal obligations that cannot be completely put on hold while they are attending residential treatment.
While we encourage our clients to dedicate as much time and concentration as possible to their recovery, flexibility is a cornerstone of the Istana Jiwa program.
We understand that clients may need to schedule tele-conferences, attend to correspondence on even leave the program for short periods and return.
Yes of course.
Unlike some other treatment facilities, we do not believe that isolation and cutting off communication with loved ones assists recovery. Quite the opposite. We do not wish to further traumatise children who may be frightened or confused by a parent’s absence.
We understand that some parents may feel unable to enter treatment because of concern about the effect of extended absence from their children. For those reasons we encourage and facilitate calls and written communication.
You may wish your child or other loved ones to visit you at Istana Jiwa so that they can be assured that you are safe and well cared for.
This is Bali so the level of accommodation is limited only by budget and imagination.
If you decide that Istana Jiwa is for you we will show you a selection of villas that we have available for your dates.
Their locations will vary from mountains to the beach but they will all be 5 star, fully staffed, safe and private.
Some clients stay for 2 weeks, some stay for 3 months.
While flexibility applies to the duration of your stay, experience has shown that lasting results can best be achieved after longer stays.
If you can clear the time we encourage you to commit at least 1 month.
We are located in Bali and we are not a hospital so normally our fees are not covered.
However a few health insurance companies have provisions for rehabilitation and treatment of mental health issues.
Please refer your enquiries to your particular fund.
To confirm your stay we require a 2 week deposit of the agreed fee.
The balance is paid on arrival at Istana Jiwa.
Istana Jiwa incurs significant costs preparing for the arrival of each client so we can not refund deposits.
However if something unforeseen happens such as a family or medical emergency and with notice of at least 10 days we may be able to reschedule treatment.
I travelled from Los Angeles to Istana Jiwa on the recommendation of a friend and in my mind, it was a leap into the unknown. I was completely unprepared for how cosmopolitan, competent, professional and caring the staff were. From the moment I was met at the airport to the moment I left I felt cared for and understood. This was an utterly life-changing experience, I never thought I would say I loved going to rehabilitation but I actually did.Maggie, LA
For my sins I have been to a few treatment centres around the world, nothing comes close to Istana Jiwa. I went deeper and achieved more in therapy than I have ever gone before, I made peace with meditation and yoga - both things I have resisted in the past and both I now practise in daily life. I feel transformed, thank you.Rob, London
I went to Istana Jiwa to reset my mind and change the way I was living. Stress had got the better of me, I was partying too hard and I was close to blowing up my career and losing my family. Amazingly I found some like minded souls in the Istana Jiwa team, people who had lived my life in the corporate arena, who understood me and helped me recalibrate my life. I now feel better than ever before, and I even gave up smoking there!Simon, HK
I started with Istana Jiwa in pretty ordinary shape; marriage had collapsed and I was self medicating with anything I could find to suppress the deep sense of despair and depression. The program transformed me – physically and emotionally. I spent 60 days in the program working on finding myself and I left feeling genuine hope and a real fortitude to tackle life again.L, Melbourne